We work to reduce the stress and anxiety of families going through a neonatal journey by:
- Providing information to help them get through their time in the neonatal unit and best understand the care their baby is receiving and the role they can play.
- Organising support events such as morning teas, lunches, developmental playgroups and coffee groups. These provide an opportunity for Mums and Dads to receive updates and information and develop support networks with other parents (neonatal parents may not have ever had the opportunity to join an antenatal group).
We help support the units with equipment that directly enhances the environment for the parents or supports the care of babies in the units. For example:
- Maternity chairs for ‘Kangaroo cuddles’ and specialist breastfeeding chairs.
- Re-decorating and furnishing parent ‘rooming-in’ rooms and shared spaces to help make a parent's journey that little bit brighter.
- Offering the use of a library and parent resources.
- Privacy screens to help when families need privacy, mum is breastfeeding or kangaroo cuddles are in action.
The Neonatal Trust also supports neonatal-related medical research. For example, the world leading research currently being undertaken by Dr Max Berry. All studies we support are robust programmes and have appropriate ethical sign off.